Tuesday 23 October 2012

Martins: I Was A School Dropout


Super Eagles player, Obafemi Martins who is currently playing for Levante Football Club of Spain has revealed that he was a school dropout when he started his footballer career on the streets of Lagos.
Martins told Marca, Spain’s number one sports daily that he started playing football without shoes, with friends. Martins who began his professional career at the age of 16 disclosed that the first club he played for was Ebeidei FC of Lagos before he moved to Europe.
“I did not finish my school before I started playing football. I speak my dialect, English and Italian and very soon I’ll be speaking Spanish. My destination was football. I will always remember how my parents were crying when I went to Italy,’’ he added.
The former Rubin Kazan player said his mother wept when he was leaving for Italy for professional football.
“I will always remember how my parents were crying when I went to Italy,” said Martins who was part of Levante team that beat Getafe FC 1-0 over the weekend in the La Liga.

No comments: